At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Data Scientist Lead - 63078BRPrimary Location: Wellesley, Massachusetts
Additional Locations: MA-Wellesley Apply
63078Fundamental Components: This position is a unique opportunity for someone passionate about applying innovations in data science and machine learning to improve health care services and outcomes. The team uses an industry leading scalable data platform and techniques in creating solutions to challenging business problems. You would be part of an expanding team, with plenty of opportunities to interact with project stakeholders and business partners at all levels of the organization. You will be responsible for partnering with business leaders to understand their operations and strategy, and to develop insights to support their decision making. You will extract and manipulate medical and pharmacy claims and clinical assessment data from multiple, large data sources, and use advanced statistical techniques and mathematical analyses to identify trends, evaluate scenarios and develop actionable insights to optimize programs. This is a fast-paced, collaborative and iterative environment requiring quick learning, agility and flexibility.
- Applies analytical rigor and statistical methods to analyze large amounts of data, using advanced statistical techniques
- Manages large and complex analytical projects from data exploration, model building, performance evaluation and testing
- Behaves as mentor to junior team members to provide technical advice
- Collaborates with business partners to develop technical /business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and management to share highly complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions.
- 7 or more years of progressively complex related experience
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of mathematical analysis methods, machine learning, statistical analyses, and predictive modeling and advanced in-depth specialization in some areas.
- Solid understanding of health care industry, products, and systems preferred
- Deep knowledge of advanced analytics tools and languages to analyze large data sets from multiple data sources
- SQL and database querying a must.
- Experience using R and Python to manipulate large datasets and develop statistical models
- Knowledge of data management in a Hadoop environment, including use of HIVE or Pig
- Strong skills to effectively communicate and negotiate across the business and in the external health care environment
- Demonstrates strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to business partners
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Epidemiology, Economics, Physics, Engineering or related discipline. PhD preferred.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives. Potential Telework Position: No Percent of Travel Required: 0 - 10% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position. Candidate Privacy Information: Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Aetna is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
2018 Most Admired
Aetna named one of Fortune's most admired companies
Mark Bertolini Discusses the Future of Health Care at Fortune Brainstorm Health
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
- Utilization Management Nurse Consultant Bradenton, Florida, Boynton Beach, Florida, Casselberry, Florida, Fort Myers, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Orlando, Florida, Pensacola, Florida, Tampa, Florida
- Actuarial Manager Chicago, Illinois, Bethesda, Maryland, New York, New York, Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, Austin, Texas, Atlanta, Georgia, Concord, California, Hartford, Connecticut
- Event Coordinator / Administrative Support New York, New York
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.