Sr Government Relations Specialist - 59314BRPrimary Location: Washington D.C., District of Columbia
Additional Locations: DC-Washington Apply
Exciting opportunity with Aetna, a CVS Brand company as Sr Government Relations Specialist. Leads Government Relations support for business operations of the Company and for specific issues of major importance to the Company. Overall responsibility for Government Relations, High Level Regulatory Relations, and/or Large State Procurements in assigned states.
59314Fundamental Components: Fundamental Components :
• Serves as a subject matter expert to research and monitor legislation and policies for assigned products or regions to identify opportunities that might positively impact the company.
• Manages the development and implementation of government affairs/legislative strategy for assigned products or procurements to advance legislative and regulatory interests of the Company.
• Develops and maintains policies and programs to ensure organizational awareness of government legislation and/or regulatory issues that affect the organization.
• Anticipates and negotiates legislative, regulatory and public policy positions on behalf of the Company and represent the Company before specific State legislatures and high level regulators/government officials.
• Attains and retains large State procurements for assigned region/states as they pertain to Medicaid and the Public Sector.
• Analyzes potential procurement opportunities and develops government affairs strategies which supplement and amplify organizational differentiators.
• Addresses critical matters related to the legislative and regulatory environment, including rate and product issues related to State budget and appropriations matters.
• Conducts “post mortem” reviews of procurement efforts to identify strengths and weaknesses to inform future procurement approaches.
• Impacts segment, region, or function results, anticipating business and/or regulatory issues and influencing internal practices.
• Solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business. • Leads projects with notable complexity with business area implications.
• Seeks government authorization to carry on new and existing business activities of the Company.
• Provides government relations/regulatory relations expertise to designated client areas and/or within major area(s) of expertise.
• Works with external groups/constituencies to establish strategic partnerships, alliances to implement business plans.
• Prepares reports and presentations in coordination with corporate affairs team on communications, community relations and corporate investments.
• Oversees internal and external resources required to carry out responsibilities.
• Complies with applicable lobbying requirements. Background Experience: BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE desired:
- 8-12 years of experience in government affairs arena with heavy emphasis on health/insurance public policy and procurement lobbying.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with state officials, legislators, regulators, associations and other groups important to advocacy efforts.
- Experience and leadership in working with and representing State accounts before the legislature.
- Excellent skills in analyzing, understanding and translating complex legislative, regulatory and policy issues in order to advise on pending legislation, regulations, changes in key government policy and other government relations matters pertinent to the company.
- Demonstrated ability to partner and leverage outside counsel and external resources/relationships with stakeholder groups that will both promote Aetnas business expertise and presence.
- Demonstrated compliance with Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Proven, effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a variety of Aetna management, retained counsel, legislators and other elected/appointed officials, regulators, staff of trade associations and other key stakeholders.
- Creativity, flexibility and demonstrated organizational skills.
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
General Business/Communicating for Impact/ADVANCED
Leadership/Collaborating for Results/ADVANCED
#LI-DI1 Potential Telework Position: Yes Percent of Travel Required: 50 - 75% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position. Candidate Privacy Information:
Jobs for you
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Your Saved Jobs
You do not have any saved jobs
Sign up for Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna.
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.