At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Sr. Dir. Data Science – Clinical StratificationPrimary Location: New York, New York
Additional Locations: NY-New York Apply
The position is responsible for the development and implementation of analytic capabilities that enhance the impact of Aetna’s care management and lifestyle/condition management programs. This includes the use of advanced analytics methods to stratify populations, optimization of targeting algorithms to maximize intervention impact, A/B testing of intervention strategies, and optimization of information delivery. Leads a growing 7+ person team, collaborates within the Analytics organization, and supports business partners across Aetna and Active Health Management. Drives the strategy around the optimization of clinical program impact, syndicates and prioritizes initiatives. The position will also be responsible for assessing and improving the impact of implemented initiatives.
- Provide thought leadership around the application of new data sources and metrics for improved risk stratification and impactable opportunity identification.
- Lead the enhancement and/or development of new predictive modeling and machine learning capabilities to enhance population health management.
- Develop strategy and identify opportunities to improve stratification and targeting through assessment of existing programs, interviews with internal stakeholders and external benchmarking.
- Identify key business needs, structure analytic solutions to address those needs, and develop project roadmaps.
- Assess analytic initiative value through cost-benefit analyses.
- Present analysis-based strategy recommendations to senior management.
- Identify key performance metrics and expected outcomes over time.
- Promote a productive work environment by providing timely, specific and constructive performance feedback.
- Foster a technically innovative, collaborative and engaging work environment.
- Effectively communicate insights, findings and recommendations verbally and in written format (e.g. presentations, briefs, visualizations)
- 10+ years experience in healthcare data science or health service analytics.
- 6+ years of relevant managerial experience
- Direct experience with predictive modeling, segmentation and machine learning methodologies.
- Experience with a wide range of healthcare data systems, including care management, claims, eligibility, health risk assessments and EMRs.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams focusing on statistical data analysis in large-scale, complex data environments.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing and tracking performance of clinical, care management, or health improvement programs.
- In-depth healthcare knowledge, with emphasis on population health and care management programs in various settings health systems, health plans, community partnerships.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with customers, senior stakeholders and team members to meet goals.
- Master's degree required (preferably in Analytics, Epidemiology, Statistics, Biostatistics or Quantitative Social Sciences), PhD preferred.
Aetna is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
2018 Most Admired
Aetna named one of Fortune's most admired companies
Mark Bertolini Discusses the Future of Health Care at Fortune Brainstorm Health
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.