At Aetna, a CVS Health Company, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna, a CVS Health Company Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, a CVS Health Company, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Principal Data ScientistPrimary Location: New York, New York
Additional Locations: NY-New York Apply
The Clinical Products data science team helps supercharge CVS-Aetna’s clinical programs to improve member health and lower costs. Given CVS-Aetna’s size, scope, and deep set of capacities, CVS-Aetna is an unparalleled platform to make a difference in healthcare in the US and beyond. The Clinical Products team has three main goals. First, CVS-Aetna is launching a series of clinical programs that use the resources of the combined CVS-Aetna, and our team delivers the advanced analytics to support those initiatives. Second, the team develops data-driven clinical recommendations that are delivered to members, their providers, and their caregivers. Finally, we build condition-specific models that help other parts of the company (e.g. pricing) better predict member care journeys.
About the position. A Principal Data Scientist will join the Clinical Products team and will be responsible for leading and providing technical vision for one or (more likely) more projects. A Principal Data Scientist will build and lead a team that develops predictive models, works with clinical experts (e.g. doctors) to translate their subject matter expertise into machine learning models, sources data, and presents to technical and non-technical stakeholders. A Principal Data Scientist will also lead and mentor team members. Finally, Principal Data Scientist will need to help set the team’s coherent, actionable, and inspiring technical vision…and she will need to inspire the team to execute on that vision.
- Lead team of 2-3 Data Scientists to develop and deliver models that inform CVS-Aetna’s clinical programs.
- Consults with business partners and clinical leaders to understand problems and goals, understand business value, and translate into business opportunities to be captured through predictive analytics solutions.
- Develops and/or uses advanced algorithms and statistical predictive models and determines analytical approaches and modeling techniques to evaluate scenarios and potential future outcomes
- Demonstrates superior communication skills, and ability to develop and participate in presentations and consultations to business stakeholders on analytics results and solutions
- Supports deployment of insights across multiple channels, i.e., web, mobile app, email, social, call center, Apple watch
- Motivates team members and probes into technical detail
- Contributes Subject Matter Expertise (SME) through interactions with team members, peers and managers to exchange complex information related to areas of specialization
- Mentors others, and champions 360-feedback across team
- 7-10 or more years of progressively complex related experience.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of mathematical analysis methods, machine learning, statistical analyses, and predictive modeling and advanced in-depth specialization in some areas.
- Solid understanding of health care industry, products, and systems.
- Deep knowledge of advanced analytics tools and languages to analyze large data sets from multiple data sources.
- Strong skills to effectively communicate and negotiate across the business and in the external health care environment
- Demonstrates strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to business partners.
- Strong organizational, management and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of health care industry, products, systems, business strategies and products
- Clinically oriented background or professional experience is a plus.
Aetna, a CVS Health Company is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna, a CVS Health Company is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
Aetna, a CVS Health Company Leadership
Meet the Aetna, a CVS Health Company executives who are helping to transform health care locally, nationally, and around the globe
Take a Look
Aetna, a CVS Health Company
Larry Merlo at Forbes Health Care Summit Discusses combination of CVS and Aetna and Placing Consumers at the Center of Their Care
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna, a CVS Health Company.