At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Principal Data ScientistPrimary Location: New York, New York
Additional Locations: CT-Hartford, MA-Wellesley, NY-New York Apply
The Principal Data Scientist will join the newly formed Clinical Products team and will be responsible for leading and providing technical vision for one or (more likely) more projects. This role will work as a team lead that develops predictive models, works with clinical experts (e.g. doctors) to translate their subject matter expertise into machine learning models, sources data, and presents to technical and non-technical stakeholders. The role will also lead and mentor team members. Finally, this role will need to help set the teams coherent, actionable, and inspiring technical vision and will need to inspire the team to execute on that vision.
Culturally, because we are a new team, we are looking for candidates who embrace the explorer mindset of asking questions, iterating quickly, being comfortable pivoting intelligently, and moving fast.
- Lead team of 2-3 Data Scientists to develop and deliver models that inform CVS-Aetna's clinical programs.
- Consults with business partners and clinical leaders to understand problems and goals, understand business value, and translate into business opportunities to be captured through predictive analytics solutions.
- Develops and/or uses advanced algorithms and statistical predictive models and determines analytical approaches and modeling techniques to evaluate scenarios and potential future outcomes
- Demonstrates superior communication skills, and ability to develop and participate in presentations and consultations to business stakeholders on analytics results and solutions
- Supports deployment of insights across multiple channels, i.e., web, mobile app, email, social, call center, Apple watch
- Motivates team members and probes into technical detail
- Contributes Subject Matter Expertise (SME) through interactions with team members, peers and managers to exchange complex information related to areas of specialization
- Mentors others, and champions 360-feedback across team
- 10 or more years of progressively complex related experience.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of mathematical analysis methods, machine learning, statistical analyses, and predictive modeling and advanced in-depth specialization in some areas.
- Solid understanding of health care industry, products, and systems.
- Deep knowledge of advanced analytics tools and languages to analyze large data sets from multiple data sources.
- Strong skills to effectively communicate and negotiate across the business and in the external health care environment
- Demonstrates strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to business partners.
- Strong organizational, management and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of health care industry, products, systems, business strategies and products
- Clinically oriented background or professional experience is a plus.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The newly formed Clinical Products data science team helps supercharge CVS-Aetna's clinical programs to improve member health and lower costs. Given CVS-Aetna's size, scope, and deep set of capacities, CVS-Aetna is an unparalleled platform to make a difference in healthcare in the US and beyond.
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Aetna takes our candidates's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Aetna is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
2018 Most Admired
Aetna named one of Fortune's most admired companies
Mark Bertolini Discusses the Future of Health Care at Fortune Brainstorm Health
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.