At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Lead Data ScientistPrimary Location: New York, New York
Additional Locations: NY-New York Apply
A Lead Data Scientist will join the newly formed Clinical Products team and will be responsible for, end to end, projects that support one or more of the team’s three objectives. A Lead Data Scientist will lead a team that develops predictive models, works with clinical experts (e.g. doctors) to translate their subject matter expertise into machine learning models, sources data, and presents to technical and non-technical stakeholders. A Lead Data Scientist will also manage and be responsible for using the results of AB testing to improve the performance of the team’s statistical modeling and targeting. A Lead Data Scientist will also mentor team members.
Culturally, because we are a new team, we are looking for candidates who embrace the “explorer” mindset of asking questions, iterating quickly, being comfortable pivoting intelligently, and moving fast.
- Develops and/or uses algorithms and statistical predictive models, including advanced models.
- Brings clinical insights to inform predictive models: is skilled at reading academic clinically oriented literature and collaborating with clinical subject matter experts to inform predictive models.
- Performs analyses of structured and unstructured data to solve multiple and complex business problems. Utilizing advanced statistical techniques and mathematical analyses and specialized expertise in the Aetna and/or healthcare.
- Applies analytical rigor and statistical methods to analyze large amounts of data, using advanced statistical techniques.
- Manages large and complex analytical projects from data exploration, model building, performance evaluation and testing
- Behaves as mentor to junior team members to provide technical advice
- Collaborates with business partners to develop technical /business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools
- Interacts with internal and external peers and management to share highly complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions
- 7-10 or more years of progressively complex related experience
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of mathematical analysis methods, machine learning, statistical analyses, and predictive modeling and advanced in-depth specialization in some areas
- Solid understanding of health care industry, products, and systems
- Deep knowledge of advanced analytics tools and languages to analyze large data sets from multiple data sources
- Strong skills to effectively communicate and negotiate across the business and in the external health care environment Demonstrates strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to business partners
- Strong organizational, management and leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Clinically oriented background or professional experience is a plus.
Aetna is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
2018 Most Admired
Aetna named one of Fortune's most admired companies
Mark Bertolini Discusses the Future of Health Care at Fortune Brainstorm Health
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.