At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Director Data SciencePrimary Location: New York, New York
Additional Locations: NY-New York Apply
Looking for opportunities to use cutting edge technologies analyzing petabytes of data in a world class Hadoop cluster, generating insights to guide consumers in their journey to wellness and help them achieve their health ambitions, whether its running the Inca Trail Marathon or playing tackle football with their grandkids? Aetna's Member Analytics team is focused on delivering strategically-impactful programs and tools to help members across all life stages feel the joy of achieving their best health, in their own way.
- Directs analytics professionals and, in some cases, managers of analytics teams.
- Applies experience from strategy consulting, analytics, and data engineering to successfully direct the development of statistical and mathematical analyses to support business decision making for one or more business functions. Seen as a thought leader.Manages analytics team(s) for one or more product areas.
- Leads development of solutions with moderate complexity and risk with business area implications.
- Understands and recommends modeling techniques to data scientists.
- Ability to structure data analysis, driving analytics insights and analytical solutions.
- Ability to translate business problems into analytical solutions.
- Presents recommendations to senior staff and internal clients.
- Mentors junior team members.
- Leads multiple large cross-functional project teams.
- Plans for the current year in terms of strategy and operations.
- Thinks about their team and where it is headed. Autonomously leads the client relationship with senior business leaders as their single point of contact.
- Collaborates with business partners to understand their strategy, problems, and goals. Works with senior leaders to identify opportunities to implement analytics solutions to business problems.
- Sets priorities and executes strategy for the analytics organization.
- 5+ years of business experience leading analyses and initiatives with track record of business impact.
- Minimum 10 years total business experience
- 5+ years of people management experience
- 5+ years experience strategy consulting or on strategy teams in large companies
- Strong knowledge of advanced analytics tools and languages to analyze large data sets from multiple data sources.
- Anticipates and prevents problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Healthcare sector experience preferred
- Demonstrates strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to business partners.
- Bachelor degree in quantitative field, or an equivalent combination of formal education and experience.
- Master's degree in quantitative field or MBA strongly preferred.
Aetna is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
2018 Most Admired
Aetna named one of Fortune's most admired companies
Mark Bertolini Discusses the Future of Health Care at Fortune Brainstorm Health
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.