Assistant ActuaryPrimary Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Additional Locations: CT-Hartford, GA-Atlanta, IL-Chicago, KS-Overland Park, MD-Bethesda, PA-Blue Bell, PA-Harrisburg Apply
This individual will act as the Subject Matter Expert for the Excel version of Aetna's benefit methodology, as well as related tools. He/she will have responsibility for maintaining, troubleshooting, updating, and improving upon the benefit factor process and methodology.
- Project Management - Successfully manage rating-related projects and initiatives to conclusion. Exhibit innovative use of resources.
- Decision Making- Exercise decision making within scope of authority.
- Coaching Maintain coaching relationship with 1-2 employees. Provide valuable feedback related to current responsibilities, performance, and career goals/planning.
Product & Business Knowledge:
- Assumptions & Data Sources- Demonstrate understanding of existing data sources. Proactively seek out new data sources to support/challenge existing assumptions and recommend alternatives/improvements as necessary.
- Programs, Policies & Processes- Demonstrate understanding of interdepartmental products, programs, processes and policies; research problems and issues and suggest resolution.
- Strategic/Proactive Thinking Independently formulate improvements to existing rating processes, tools, and models. Propose and implement improvements.
- Use of Technology- Develop creative technical solutions to a variety of problems. Stay apprised of technical innovations as potential solutions for actuarial issues and concerns.
- Development & Implementation- Oversee/manage the development and implementation of rating-related tools and models.
- Maintenance & Enhancements- Prioritize changes and enhancements to processes, tools and systems.
- Testing- Manage testing for changes to processes, tools, and systems.
Communication, Collaboration & Consultation:
- Senior Actuarial Leadership Present findings and strategic recommendations to Commercial Actuarial Leadership for approval.
- Market Actuarial Present approved results to Market Actuarial teams and assist with implementation
Bachelor's degree along with a minimum of 3+ years actuarial health experience
Must have your ASA (Associate of the Society of Actuary) or FSA (Fellow of the Society of Actuary)
Must have strong Excel & SQL skills and VBA, R, SAS would also be desired
Must be able to understand complex topics/problems and have strong analytical problem-solving skills
Must be a strategic thinker and ability to see the big-picture
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Actuarial/Associate of the Society of Actuaries is required
Actuarial/Member of the American Academy of Actuaries is desired
Functional - Actuarial/Pricing: manual rate structure development/1-3 Years
Functional - Actuarial/Rating system development & support/1-3 Years
Technical - Database/SQL Server/1-3 Years/End User
Technical - Database/Microsoft Access/1-3 Years/End User
General Business/Communicating for Impact/ADVANCED
Leadership/Collaborating for Results/ADVANCED
Leadership/Developing and Executing Strategy/ADVANCED
General Business/Demonstrating Business and Industry Acumen/ADVANCED
General Business/Turning Data into Information/ADVANCED
Part-Time Telework (ex: 3 days office-based, 2 days telework) available
Can live near any office location
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
This Subject Matter Expert will have a reasonable amount of autonomy to work independently in driving improvements to the benefit methodology and other rating-related components. The position provides valuable exposure and visibility to both Senior Actuarial Leadership as well as to numerous actuarial peers, providing a good networking opportunity.
The development of benefit factors is a core actuarial concept, and this position not only provides the opportunity to gain a deep understanding of this concept, but to be creative in formulating, developing, and implementing improvements to the current process and tools.
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Aetna takes our candidates's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Jobs for you
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Your Saved Jobs
You do not have any saved jobs
Sign up for Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna.
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.