At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As an underwriter, you’ll provide valuable, ongoing financial insights for corporate clients and determine accurate and competitive rates and fees for new and renewal business. We’ll count on you to negotiate rates that meet our customer’s financial needs while delivering high-quality products, claims projections, funding evaluations and financial accounting packages. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful underwriter? Here are the traits we are looking for:
- Problem Solver
Paid Time Off & Disability
Senior Underwriting Consultant, Farnborough - 53103BRPrimary Location: Farnborough, United Kingdom
Additional Locations: HANTS-Farnborough Apply
With your extensive Underwriting experience (ideally gained within an IPMI or GlobalInsurer) you will be used to negotiating with internal and external stakeholders and leading the application of complex underwriting concepts and rate/fee development at a policy level.
As a qualified Underwriter you may already be mentoring junior colleagues and sharing your technical expertise through your track record of providing superior customer service in support of Underwriting Performance and organizational goals.
Your typical day will include the following:
- Handles complex cases/markets/issues using strong knowledge of company services, product standards, underwriting policies and alternate funding.
- Grants underwriting exceptions and financial variances within prescribed limit.
- May interact/meet with customers, brokers and consultants.
- Works across Aetna's segments/markets to achieve goals.
- Negotiates and fully explains rate development, pricing components and application of underwriting policies while remaining conscious of financial objectives.
- Provides timely and accurate deliverables for new and/or renewal business, e.g. accountings, funding evaluations, benefit quotations.
- Monitors financial condition of assigned accounts, e.g., case migration, renewal pricing, premium defaults, and deficit reductions.
- Utilizes advanced functionality of rating/ financial tools, reference materials, and source systems for premium, membership and claim information.
- Analyses competitive position on a case specific basis and develops financial comparisons.
- Recognizes opportunities for process improvements and recommends changes.
- Assesses customer needs and expectations versus company capabilities/ strategies.
- Mentors less experienced underwriters in development of technical skills.
- Builds strong cross-functional relationships with sales force and other internal constituents.
- Fosters open lines of communication on team and uses effective oral and written communication skills.
- Underwrites complex medical questionnaires and/or medical records.
- Assesses risks and makes sound underwriting decisions based on established criteria and/or medical judgments.
What we look for….
- Experience in underwriting pricing methodologies (manual, experience, blended, etc.) and funding arrangements required.
- Proven ability to facilitate and negotiate using tact and diplomacy.
- Proven ability to build strong cross-functional relationships with sales force and other internal organizations.
- Proven ability to anticipate customer needs.
- BSc/BA in Maths, Finance or related field or equivalent work experience required.
- CII designation preferred.
- Communication with outside consultants and customers required.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Some travel may be required.
- Competitive salary
- Competitive Company Pension
- Private healthcare + discounted lifestyle benefits including gym membership, flights & hotels, Starbucks, cinema tickets
- Life Insurance 4 x annual salary
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Fresh fruit and drinks
- Monthly employee appreciation lunches
- Social activities
- Well-being initiatives
As we’re based on the Farnborough Business Park, you might choose to spend your lunch break at a military fitness or yoga class, enjoying one of the various beauty and relaxation treatments on offer (discounted fees apply) or playing table tennis in our Atrium.
We offer a free shuttle bus from Farnborough Main and North stations and into Farnborough town centre at lunchtime.
Aetna are a leading diversified health care benefits company, serving an estimated 44 million people. We offer industry-leading information, tools and resources to help people achieve their best possible health. As part of CVS Health, Aetna is a Fortune 8 company and the third largest health care benefits company in the United States.
Aetna’s global business, Aetna International, is one of the world’s largest and most prominent providers, with more than 800,000 members worldwide.
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare across the globe. We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
63103EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.