Customer Service Representative
At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness, focusing on the whole person - body, mind, and spirit. Our customer service and claim teams provide a human connection when it’s needed most and are essential to turning our member’s health ambitions, big and small, into achievements. Your role will include processing claims and helping members, doctors, and companies better understand our products and services. You will be an advocate for our member’s best health by helping them get the most from their benefits, building trust and always providing a clear path to care.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Entry Level
- Travel: No
Aetna’s minimum starting salary is $16/hr.
What makes a successful Customer Service Representative? Here are the traits we are looking for:
- Good listener
- Problem Solver
- Quick thinking
Paid Time Off & Disability
Aetna’s Social Compact
Our commitment to improve wages and medical benefits.
Customer Service Representative Quotes
You really are invested in the member… you have to be their advocate.Damon H., Senior Health Concierge Customer Service Representative
I’m very excited about the common purpose [Advocate for our members’ best health by helping get them most from their benefits, building trust and always providing a clear path to care], in the first day of training all the leaders came in and explained it. As soon as they got done talking I knew this was the company for me.Emily E., Customer Service Representative
Senior Customer Service Representative (Bilingual Spanish))Primary Location: Dallas, Texas
Additional Locations: TX-Dallas Apply
- Customer Service Representative is the face of Aetna and impacts members' service experience by manner of how customer service inquiries and problems via telephone, internet or written correspondence are handled.
- Calls are typically non-routine and may require deviation from standard screens, scripts and procedures to engage, consult and educate members based upon the member’s unique needs, preferences and understanding of Aetna plans, tools and resources to help guide the members along a clear path to care.
- Act as subject matter expert by providing training, coaching, or responding to complex issues. May analyze and adjudicate claims.
- Answers questions and resolves issues as a "single-point-of-contact" based on phone calls, letters, and internet from brokers, marketing plan sponsors, PSS/ISO, members and providers. Activities may include providing claim status information, benefit coverage interpretations, and explaining plan eligibility.
- Creates an emotional connection with our members by understanding and engaging the member to the fullest to champion for our members' best health.
- Taking accountability to fully understand the member’s needs by building a trusting and caring relationship with the member.
- Anticipates customer needs. Provides the customer with related information to answer the unasked questions, e.g. additional plan details, benefit plan details, member self-service tools, etc.
- Uses customer service threshold framework to make financial decisions to resolve member issues.
- Processes claim referrals, new claim hand-offs, nurse reviews, and member/provider complaints. Escalates issues as appropriate through the target system for grievances and appeals.
- Initiates out-reach/welcome calls to ensure constituents expectations are met or exceeded. Through in-depth analysis, identifies complaint trends and any emerging customer service issues and works to develop solutions to address potential problems.
- Educates customers on various elements of benefit plan information and available services created to enhance the overall customer service experience with the company (i.e., assistance with member self-service tools).
- Partners with other departments to deliver client specific presentations. Coordinates efforts both internally and across departments to successfully resolve service issues and develop process improvements intended to enhance the overall delivery of service.
- Serves as SME providing technical assistance when needed on call related issues, products, and/or system applications delivery matters.
- Coaches, trains and assists in the development of call center staff. May participate and/or lead special projects/initiatives addressing service issues.
- May provide technical or subject matter expertise concerning policies, procedures, and function-related applications/systems tools.
- Delivers internal quality reviews. Provides appropriate support in third party audits when required.
- Documents and tracks all contacts, events, and outcomes with clients using appropriate systems and processes
- Customer Service experiences in a transaction based environment such as a call center or retail location preferred, demonstrating ability to be empathetic and compassionate.
- Experience with Medicaid/Medicare and/or health insurance preferred but not required.
- Experience in a production environment. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments competently, accurately and efficiently.
- Experience in a high volume call center
- Customer Service Call Center environment a plus.
- Bilingual preferred
- Associate's degree or equivalent work experience
- Bilingual Spanish Required
- Understanding of medical terminology.
- Strong knowledge of benefit plans, policies and procedures.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and production standards.
- Negotiation skills.
- Technical skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Self- starter
Aetna has been named to Fortune’s 2018 World’s Most Admired Companies list. The company was ranked No. 4 in the “Health Care: Insurance and Managed Care” category.
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna.Sign Up
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.