At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As a Data Scientist on the Analytics & Behavior Change team, you’ll build leading-edge analytics, data and technology platforms to help reimagine health care. We’ll count on you to help solve problems and deliver meaningful insights to our customers by leveraging innovations in data science, machine learning and predictive modeling techniques. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful data scientist? Here are the traits we are looking for:
Paid Time Off & Disability
At Aetna Analytics, the team uses machine learning techniques and data visualization to derive insights from the data to guide our efforts to understand and care for our members more effectively and at a lower cost. Each team member is responsible for a new weekly insight. We have a great mix of new graduates and senior data scientists. I’m constantly blown away at the talent, creativity and drive on our team!Karen S., Senior Director - Enterprise Analytics
Working at Aetna, gives you the opportunity to use the data to make a change. A change that could save lives, could prevent fraud, a change that really matters and a chance to work with like-minded people to make a difference. A great team, helpful colleagues, intelligent co-workers make the journey to learn and innovate that much more fun.Tanvi K., Data Scientist - Clinical Analytics
Data ScientistPrimary Location: Cupertino, California
Additional Locations: CA-Cupertino Apply
Looking for opportunities to use cutting edge technologies analyzing petabytes of data in a world class Hadoop cluster, generating insights to guide consumers in their journey to wellness and help them achieve their health ambitions, whether it’s running the Inca Trail Marathon or playing tackle football with their grandkids? Aetna’s Member Analytics team is focused on delivering strategically-impactful programs and tools to help members across all life stages feel the joy of achieving their best health, in their own way.
This position will work within a cross-functional team, delivering predictive analytics solutions to drive customer engagement and next-best-action, and improve customer experience across critical journeys, e.g., onboarding, breast
cancer, maternity. The candidate will be responsible for extracting and manipulating data from multiple, large data sources and using the data to deliver predictive model and solutions to drive member behavior change and experience across channels (mobile app, web, email, social, call center, Apple)
- Develops and/or uses advanced algorithms and statistical predictive models and determines analytical approaches and modeling techniques to evaluate scenarios and potential future outcomes .
- Uses strong programming skills to explore, analyze and interpret large volumes of data in various forms, and solve complex business problems.
- Supports deployment of insights across multiple channels, i.e., web, mobile app, email, social, call center, Apple watch.
- Demonstrates strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to peers, managers, and business partners.
2 or more years of progressively complex related experience.
- Demonstrates proficiency in most areas of mathematical analysis methods, machine learning, statistical analyses, and predictive modeling and in-depth specialization in some areas.
- Expertise in using R or Python to manipulate large data sets and develop statistical models.
- Expertise in data management in an Hadoop environment, including use of Hive.
- Excellent problem solving skills, critical thinking and conceptual thinking abilities.
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to business partners.
- Some knowledge of health care industry preferred.
Potential Telework Position: No Percent of Travel Required: 0 - 10% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position. Candidate Privacy Information: Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Aetna is taking on health care fraud
Learn how Aetna is using machine learning to detect fraud, waste and abuse in the health care system.
2018 Most Admired
Aetna named one of Fortune's most admired companies
Mark Bertolini Discusses the Future of Health Care at Fortune Brainstorm Health
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.