Actuary IPrimary Location: Concord, CA
Additional Locations: CA-Concord, CA-Walnut Creek Apply
66594Fundamental Components: This position supports the Student Health line of business. This position offers unique opportunities to work directly with clients (the schools and their consultants/brokers) as well as the ability to work with the end to end facets of a health plan, including Underwriting, Sales and Account Management, Implementation, ACO and Joint-venture health plans, contracting, and senior management. A successful candidate will have strong technical skills, the ability to work and communicate with a variety of people, and the desire to be creative to address the unique needs of each school.
- Management of Resources- Lead/manage projects established to support goals identified in strategic and operating plans. Influence/motivate resources within and outside of direct control to complete projects. Exhibit innovative use of resources.
- Scope of Decision-Making Authority- Broad decision making authority typically tied to level of financial impact. Perform all supervisory responsibilities for team members, including job coaching and performance management.
Ensure access to appropriate tools, resources and training.
- Aetna Way- Exhibit behavior that reflects Aetna’s values and is in accordance with the Aetna Way.
Product & Business Knowledge:
- Assumptions & Data Sources- Review assumptions developed by staff from a business perspective and be able to defend work to senior management. Integrate understanding of internal and external data sources for quantifying risks.
- Programs, Policies & Processes- Apply knowledge of interdepartmental products, programs, processes and policies to resolve problems and issues.
- Regulatory Issues- Assure compliance with applicable regulations, laws and standards.
Risk Analysis & Management:
- Risk Assessment- Partner with business managers to provide sound risk management advice.
- Rate Filing- Direct and observe regulatory process. Respond to internal and external auditors. Validate and/or sign certifications of compliance.
- Reserve Analysis- Review reserve analyses and recommend appropriate reserve levels.
- Planning & Forecasting- Review and interpret models and make recommendations for planning, forecasting and reporting process.
- Pricing, Trend & Benefit Design- Oversee and recommend pricing and trend for product and/or services. Understand and communicate financial impact on business plan to business unit management.
- Use of Technology- Develop creative technical solutions to a variety of problems. Stay apprised of technical innovations as potential solutions for actuarial issues and concerns.
- Development & Implementation- Oversee/manage the development and implementation of tools and models.
- Maintenance & Enhancements- Prioritize changes and enhancements to processes, tools and systems. Define staffing support and resource allocation.
- Business Specifications- Signoff on detailed business requirements for systems development.
- Testing- Review testing results for changes to processes, tools and systems.
Communication, Collaboration & Consultation:
- Constituent Focus- Leads interdepartmental teams to shape process and policy.
- Verbal & Written Communication- Address most complex inquiries. Have direct interaction with internal and external constituents. Maintain accurate documentation and manage training and user support for tools and processes.
- Interaction with Constituents- Initiate and support collaboration with internal and external constituents.
Background Experience: Bachelor's degree along with 5+ years related experience.
Must be an ASA or FSA and is typically a member of the American Academy of Actuaries (or other accredited actuarial organization) able to sign state rate filings and other required actuarial certifications.
Prior healthcare experience, Student Health background is helpful
Strong communication skills
Potential Telework Position: No Percent of Travel Required: 10 - 25% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Candidate Privacy Information: Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Jobs for you
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Your Saved Jobs
You do not have any saved jobs
Sign up for Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.