At Aetna, we’re pioneering a total approach to health and wellness. As an underwriter, you’ll provide valuable, ongoing financial insights for corporate clients and determine accurate and competitive rates and fees for new and renewal business. We’ll count on you to negotiate rates that meet our customer’s financial needs while delivering high-quality products, claims projections, funding evaluations and financial accounting packages. And we’ll support you in achieving more in your life and your work.
What makes a successful underwriter? Here are the traits we are looking for:
- Problem Solver
Paid Time Off & Disability
Medical Underwriting ManagerPrimary Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Additional Locations: AZ-Phoenix, CO-Denver, CT-Hartford, FL-Jacksonville, FL-Sunrise, FL-Tampa, IL-Chicago, MA-Wellesley, NE-Omaha, PA-Harrisburg, PA-Philadelphia, PA-Pittsburgh, SC-Columbia, TX-Austin, TX-Sugar Land Apply
In addition, this position will manage the day-to-day relationship with a key external distribution and administration partner.
The position will independently perform accurate analysis and risk assessment to produce sound financial responses/products in a timely manner.
*Flexible on Location.
67419Fundamental Components: - Direct report to the Director of Actuarial and Underwriting for Aetna Voluntary
- Partners with Head of Product to design and implement medical solutions for unique target market
- Manages the day-to-day relationship with a key external distribution and administration partner
- Responsible for manager activities related to staffing, talent management, training and development
- Oversees training of underwriting staff and internal customers and external constituents. Provides opportunities to develop skills and experiences.
- Manages workflow within unit and directs changing priorities. Ensures that timely actions and deliverables are met, and team members have the information to do their jobs.
- Negotiates and explains rate development and application of underwriting policy. Assists team members in handling difficult sales/renewal situations.
- Escalates underwriting exceptions and financial variances to senior management balancing membership, revenue growth and profitability targets. Engages in underwriting decisions with significant benefit implications.
- Leads process improvement initiatives to improve productivity, accuracy, and/or customer service and influences tool development. Takes accountability for driving solutions to completion.
- Takes accountability for the team to ensure customer specific documents, deliverables and account related information produced by the team are accurate and support the customer’s quote/renewal strategy. Also ensure accurate reporting of financials is maintained for the team.
- Uses knowledge of competition and competitive landscape to evaluate and minimize risk while maximizing profitability. Background Experience: - 7-10 years medical underwriting experience with extensive insurance industry knowledge. Sold knowledge of other benefit programs (e.g. Dental, Vision, Voluntary) and pricing of related benefits a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership that fosters and supports a strong team of individual contributors. Experience in anticipating customer needs and requirements as well as facilitating and negotiating using tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in building strong cross-functional relationships with internal and external constituents. Demonstrated success in communicating effectively with internal and external constituents. Additional Job Information: Exhibits proven leadership skills that will enable him/her to foster and support a strong team, leading by example.Able to anticipate customer needs and requirements as well as to facilitate and negotiate using tact and diplomacy.Communication with outside consultants and customers.Some travel may be required. Required Skills: General Business - Communicating for Impact, General Business - Demonstrating Business and Industry Acumen, Leadership - Collaborating for Results Desired Skills: General Business - Applying Reasoned Judgment, General Business - Managing Sales Relationships, Leadership - Engaging and Developing People Functional Skills: Underwriting - Financial arrangements, Underwriting - Management: < 25 employees, Underwriting - New business - group medical, Underwriting - Pricing methodologies (manual, experience, blended, alternate, etc.), Underwriting - Renewal - group medical Technology Experience: Desktop Tool - Microsoft Word, Desktop Tool - TE Microsoft Excel Potential Telework Position: Yes Percent of Travel Required: 0 - 10% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Candidate Privacy Information: Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Explore This Area
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View Map
- Network Manager/Contract Negotiator Portland, Maine, Burlington, Massachusetts, North Dartmouth, Massachusetts, Waltham, Massachusetts, Bedford, New Hampshire, Concord, New Hampshire, Stratham, New Hampshire
- General Mental Health/Substance Use Services Coordinator Phoenix, Arizona
- Sr. Sales Executive Falls Church, Virginia, Washington D.C., District of Columbia, Linthicum, Maryland
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.