Senior Coding EducatorPrimary Location: Chicago, Illinois
Additional Locations: IL-Chicago Apply
59557Fundamental Components: • Serves as the training resource and subject matter expert to Providers for questions regarding ICD-10 coding and documentation requirements.
• Provides education to external providers and internal staff based on audit findings; provides general education on ICD-10 codes as appropriate to provider partners.
• Interfaces with providers and Health Plans to resolve disputes regarding appropriate coding and documentation requirements.
• Develops a rapport with providers to act as "best practices" resource on coding practices
• Conducts process chart validation to ensure compliance with existing CMS regulations.
• Responsible for performing audits of medical records to ensure the ICD-10 codes that are submitted to CMS for the Risk Adjustment Payment System (RAPS) are appropriate, accurate, and supported by written clinical documentation in accordance with all state and federal regulations and internal policies and procedures
• Effectively communicates the audit process and results to the appropriate departments and management
• Assists senior level staff in providing recommendations for process improvement so that productivity and quality goals can be met or exceeded and operational efficiency and financial accuracy can be achieved
• Maintains current knowledge of ICD-10 codes, CMS documentation requirements, and state and federal regulations
• Performs other duties as required. Background Experience: Background/Experience required:
• Minimum of 4 years recent and related experience in medical record documentation review, diagnosis coding, and/or auditing.
• CPC (Certified Professional Coder) or CCS-P (Certified Coding Specialist-Physician) required
• Experience with ICD-10 codes
• Experience with Medicare and/or Medicaid Risk Adjustment process
• Experience with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Effective communications, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
If you hold the CPC (Certified Professional Coder) certification, you will be required to obtain the CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) certification within 6 months post hire
• Up to 50% travel expected – though most of it should not be overnight.
• Ideal candidate must be self-sufficient, think strategically and display an understanding of how his/her work fits into the overall organizational strategy
• Must be adaptable within often ambiguous scenarios and drive towards success in partnering with Physician offices Additional Job Information: For the Finance organization, if you hold the CPC (Certified Professional Coder) certification, you will be required to obtain the CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) certification within 6 months post hire Required Skills: Leadership - Driving a Culture of Compliance, Technology - Leveraging Technology Desired Skills: Benefits Management - Interacting with Medical Professionals, Benefits Management - Maximizing Healthcare Quality Functional Skills: Medical Management - Medical Management - Coding Education: Information Technology - Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Medical Management - Certified Coding Specialist-Physicians (CCS-P) Potential Telework Position: Yes Percent of Travel Required: 25 - 50% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position. Candidate Privacy Information: Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests
Jobs for you
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Your Saved Jobs
You do not have any saved jobs
Sign up for Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna.
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.