Peer Support SpecialistPrimary Location: Charleston, WV
Additional Locations: WV-Charleston Apply
- Regularly attend case rounds and assist the team with identifying members who might benefit from Peer Support Services.
- Orient the care management team as to how peer support services can help members in achieving member recovery goals, reinforcing the care plan, maintaining community tenure, adjusting tasks to fit with the member’s culture, language, and religion, improving access to care, identifying health care needs, and reducing unnecessary hospitalizations or emergency services.
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals and providers on the principles of recovery, and opportunities for improving and understanding the social determinants of health that may be impacting member’s health and treatment plan through various communication channels.
- Assist care managers and coordinators in helping members to identify socio-economic issues that affect their overall health and develop health/social management plans and goals.
- Identify gaps and opportunities to strengthen systems of care with the member and within the member’s community and increase utilization of community services through demonstrating for care coordinators how to schedule appointments with social services agencies, (including transportation vendors), and to complete applications for eligible programs.
- Ensure that the plan has an adequate network of contracted peer support specialists in each region to assist our members when appropriate or necessary to promote health.
- May attend medical, behavior health or community appointments with members when appropriate to improve adherence to treatment and advocate for getting the best possible care.
- Assist members in setting and attaining short and long-term goals.
- Suggest approaches that encourage members to participate in wellness and recovery activities at a pace that is comfortable for them.
- Experience in serving the Medicaid Populations in urban or rural environments with familiarity of local formal and informal resource networks preferred.
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills, with attention to detail required.
- 2-3 years’ experience in community/outpatient setting working with members in a mental health or substance use setting is required.
- Experience using a computer and strong keyboard navigation skills including the use of MS Office Suite, Word, and Excel applications.
- Preferred skills: Mental Health First Aid, Trauma Informed Care, HIPPA, C.L.A.S. Standards, Motivational Interviewing, and specialized training in medical terminology and practices for designated health conditions. If not certified, completion of a Certified Peer Support Training Program is required within one year from start date
- Peer Support Specialist certification is preferred.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to travel to multiple office and home locations with personal vehicle, reliable transportation, valid driver's license, and automobile insurance is required.
- Ability to educate health care providers as needed to adjust interventions based on member’s cultural, ethnic, or religious preferences.
- Experience providing care to socially and medically complex patients effectively in a variety of non-traditional settings.
- Knowledge of formal and informal community agencies and resources.
- Working knowledge of multi-system outreach programs related to health care delivery, clinical education, and health-related services.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and manage multiple priorities, utilizes effective time management skills, and exercise sound judgment.
Jobs for you
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Your Saved Jobs
You do not have any saved jobs
Sign up for Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, a CVS Health Company, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna, a CVS Health Company.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna, a CVS Health Company.