CounselPrimary Location: Atlanta, GA
Additional Locations: GA-Atlanta, TN-Franklin, TX-San Antonio Apply
62924Fundamental Components: · Provides legal, public policy, and as appropriate, business counseling with respect to prospective, new and existing business activities.
· Advises clients with respect to the application of statutes and regulations to the Company’s business activities.
· Identifies and analyzes recently enacted laws, regulations and sub-regulatory guidance and determine their applicability to Aetna’s business, products, and services.
· Conducts significant legal research, translates business requirements into plain language, and documents and distributes legal summaries for internal business clients.
· Summarizes significant legal requirements for business areas to identify impact and action steps to address.
· Drafts and executes legal documents.
· Reviews contracts for new vendors and subcontractors.
· Establishes constructive regulatory relationships and represents the Company in proceedings with state regulators and other administrative forums.
· Supports provider contracting activities.
· Provides legal expertise to companywide initiatives, projects or specialized legal matters
· Serves as a resource to other lawyers in the Law Department with respect to matters of state or federal laws, regulations and statutes.
· Protects and promotes the interests of the Company, its customers and shareholders.
· Complies with applicable legal requirements.
· Collaborates with other subject matter experts, including, other internal counsel, Senior Counsel, Government Affairs, Privacy and Compliance.
· Performs special research projects assigned.
· Provides work guidance to other legal professionals, paralegals and support staff in developing solutions to problems presented.
· Provides business sensitive and balanced advice/legal counsel. Background Experience: · Strong preference for demonstrated working knowledge of the legal landscape applicable to Medicare, both Parts C and D.
· Strong preference for demonstrated working knowledge of federal insurance laws, and the relationship between state and federal laws; however, State and governmental expertise is a plus.
· Preference for demonstrated working knowledge of Federal laws concerning health care and health insurance law including federal healthcare reform, HIPAA, ERISA, and federal mental health parity.
· Minimum of 5 years and preferably at least 6 of post-bar experience in a law firm and/or in-house/corporate settings.
· Experience clerking for a judge or with state and federal courts or legislation.
· Experience providing legal advice and counsel to internal customers preferred
· Have or able to quickly develop an understanding of Aetna's products and services with background in Medicare strongly preferred
· Experience demonstrating solid business and legal judgment
· Demonstrated excellent problem-solving skills
· Demonstrated expertise with legal acumen, drafting and analytical skills
· Experience demonstrating strong written and verbal communication skills
· Experience demonstrating high level of interpersonal skills and diplomatic finesse
· Admitted to practice law in at least one state and in good standing of applicable bar association(s).
· The minimum level of education desired for candidates in this position is a JD. Additional Job Information: This job should not be used outside of the Law & Regulatory Affairs department without compensation approval. Required Skills: General Business - Demonstrating Business and Industry Acumen, Leadership - Collaborating for Results, Leadership - Driving Change Desired Skills: Leadership - Anticipating and Innovating, Leadership - Collaborating for Results, Leadership - Driving Change Potential Telework Position: Yes Percent of Travel Required: 0 - 10% EEO Statement: Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer Benefit Eligibility: Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position. Candidate Privacy Information: Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Jobs for you
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Your Saved Jobs
You do not have any saved jobs
Sign up for Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community
At Aetna, we are pioneering a total approach to health and wellness and we need talented candidates like you to join our team. Become a member of our talent community to be the first to know about career initiatives that match your skills and interests as they become available, in addition to details on upcoming events, networking opportunities, and news about Aetna.
Join Our Talent Community
Sign up to receive information about job openings that are tailored to your skills and interests. Plus, get the latest career news from Aetna.